The Boston Travel Board issued a travel ban for the next few weeks, but many residents of Massachusetts may be wondering about their options when they arrive in the state for the holidays.
There is a lot of uncertainty around the situation.
While the federal government says it will allow some residents into the US, the state of Massachusetts has a separate ban on immigrants from six Muslim-majority countries.
Some businesses in the city of Boston are temporarily shuttering while they assess the impact of the ban.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker announced on Sunday that Massachusetts would remain on the list of countries that will be banned under President Donald Trump’s revised travel ban.
The governor has previously said the ban was necessary to keep the country safe from terrorists.
Baker is still waiting to receive a report from the federal Department of Homeland Security (DHS) on the situation, but the governor has said he would allow immigrants from the six countries to enter the state if the state did not immediately follow suit.
Governor Charlie Baker, pictured here on the campaign trail, has said that Massachusetts will remain on a list of foreign countries to be banned from the United States after Trump revised the ban on Thursday, March 4, 2019.
The Boston Globe reports that Boston Mayor Marty Walsh has been encouraging businesses to stay open and allow people from the countries to come to the city for the holiday season.
“I want to make sure that businesses are open and that businesses know that they’re safe and they’re going to be able to be open,” Walsh said.
The president has not announced his intention to temporarily ban people from these countries.
However, it is likely that the president will eventually announce the ban, which could be announced on Monday.
The Globe reports Boston’s police department is currently assessing the impact and possible fallout of the state’s ban.
Police said they have not received any reports of increased crime or assaults since the ban went into effect.