US President Donald Trump has imposed a mass travel restriction that has put tens of thousands of people into limbo while authorities try to identify those who could be affected.
Mr Trump said on Thursday he would temporarily stop all border crossings to the US, with a 90-day extension, from March 10.
It is a departure from his previous travel ban that targeted mostly Muslims and others from predominantly Muslim countries.
Mr Trudeau said it was not the time for the US to be leading a global effort to counter extremism.US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have told the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that they will not allow individuals to travel to the United States or to another US state or territory during the 90-days ban.
However, the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) said in its report released on Thursday that DHS could not account for how many people would be affected by the travel ban.
“The DHS does not have a comprehensive breakdown of who is or will be affected under the travel restrictions, and DHS has not provided a specific estimate of the number of affected individuals,” it said.”DHS did not provide a specific breakdown of the impact of the travel restriction, either for those entering or exiting the United US for the period of 90 days.”
A total of 1,527,095 individuals were affected by Mr Trump’s first travel ban and the subsequent travel restrictions.
In a separate announcement, the White House said the US was cancelling all future trips to Canada, Puerto Rico, Guam and the United Kingdom, as well as the Caribbean islands of St Kitts and Nevis, St Martin and St Thomas.
Canada and the Caribbean are the most heavily affected countries by the president’s first immigration order, with 5.5 million people travelling there since Mr Trump took office in January.
The announcement was made in a press conference in the Rose Garden with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, where they discussed the importance of security in the Pacific Rim and the importance for the United Nations to protect the interests of all its members.CBP and ICE are now required to provide the public with a list of people who have been detained.
“We will continue to ensure that DHS provides a detailed list of the individuals that were detained during the temporary suspension of travel,” said a DHS spokesperson.
“At this time, there is no immediate threat to the safety of the American public.”
A DHS spokesperson said that DHS had been able to identify the estimated total number of people affected by President Trump’s ban.
They added that DHS is currently reviewing the information that has been provided to them and will provide updates as needed.
“While this information is currently being reviewed, it is possible that DHS will make additional updates to this list as it becomes available,” the spokesperson said.
The Department of Justice has issued a statement saying that it is taking the situation very seriously and working with our international partners to ensure all individuals are kept safe from those who wish to harm them.
“These individuals will be held accountable if any of them are identified and removed from the country,” the statement said.
“The department will continue monitoring the situation closely.”CBP spokesman Scott McClellan said the department had been in contact with DHS.”ICE and CBP are continuing to coordinate the flow of individuals who are being detained and will notify the public as soon as the flow stops,” he said.
Citizenship and Immigration Canada said it would release more information as soon the ban is lifted.
“Our priority remains to ensure the safety and security of Canadians, and the immediate removal of individuals from the United